Step 1 – Create a Google Account or Use an Existing One
If you have an existing Google or Gmail account already established, you do not need to create a new one and you can skip to the next step. If you do not have a Google or Gmail account, follow the instructions below.
- Click on the following link to create your Google account.
- Fill out all of the information in the form and then click “Next Step.”
- Google will then ask you if you would like to create a public Google+ profile. That is optional and you don’t have to set that up if you don’t want to. Click “Create your profile” if you would like to or click “No
Step 2 – Using your New Google Account to Setup Google Analytics
Now that you have a Google account established, we can move on to setting up Google Analytics.
- While you are still logged in to your account, go to this website address: http://www.google.com/analytics/.
- Click on “Access Google Analytics” in the top right corner and you will be redirected to a new page.
- Click on “Sign up” on the far right hand side.
- For the purposes of this tutorial, we are going to be setting up Google Analytics for a website and not a mobile app. Therefore make sure that “Website” is clicked at the top.
- Fill out all of the information on this page.
- Account Name
- Website Name
- Website URL
- Industry Category
- Reporting Time Zone
- Finally, click on the blue “Get Tracking ID” button at the bottom
- A Google Analytics Terms of Service Agreement will appear and you will need to accept this agreement before you can proceed further.
- You will then be presented with a unique tracking code that will need to be applied to your website.
Step 3 – Installing the Tracking Code in ghost blog
In order for Google Analytics to be able to report back on a variety of website metrics, you will need to install the tracking code on ghost.
In Ghost you can inject code across your entire site or on an individual post or page. Since Google Analytics needs to track user behaviour across your entire site, we’ll use the global code injection feature which can be found in the Ghost Admin settings menu.
Google Analytics requires the tracking code to be in the
<head> of each page on your site, so paste it into the Header section and hit save.